What is Civil Engineering?
Civil Engineering is a multidimensional engineering sector, which applies technical skill and humanistic perception in solving problem-related to the creation, conservation, and advancement of civilization. It is one of the oldest branches of Engineering. A civilization can hardly be established without the help of civil engineers.
What are the main sectors of Civil Engineering?
Civil Engineering is mainly divided into four sectors. They are:-
1. Structural Engineering
2. Transportation Engineering
3. Geotechnical Engineering
4. Environmental Engineering
Moreover, Water Resource Engineering can also be said a sector of Civil Engineering.
What is Structural Engineering?
Structural Engineering basically deals with the design and foundation of different types of structure. It helps us to understand the factors of stability of a structure against stresses and loads.
Courses of structural Engineering
- Structural Analysis & Design
- Prestressed Concrete
- Design of Steel Structures
- Introduction to Finite Element Method
- Dynamics of Structures
- Structural Analysis & Design (sessional/lab)
- Prestressed Concrete (sessional/lab)
- Design of Steel Structures (sessional/lab)
- Introduction to Finite Element Method (sessional/lab)
- Dynamics of Structures (sessional/lab)
What is Transportation Engineering?
The branch of Civil Engineering which prime object is to make the transportation system safe and efficient is called Transportation Engineering.
Courses of Transportation Engineering
- Traffic Planning & Management
- Highway drainage & Airports
- Transport Projects & Operations
- Traffic Planning & Management (sessional/lab)
- Highway drainage & Airports (sessional/lab)
- Transport Projects & Operations (sessional/lab)
What is Geotechnical Engineering
The Civil Engineering sectors which provide an understanding of the behavior of soils and rocks and application to problems of design and construction are called Geotechnical Engineering.
Courses of Geo-technical Engineering
- Soil Mechanics
- Testing and Instrumentation in Soil Engineering
- Foundation Engineering
- Earth Structure
- Engineering Geology
- Soil Mechanics (sessional/lab)
- Testing and Instrumentation in Soil Engineering (sessional/lab)
- Foundation Engineering (sessional/lab)
- Earth Structure (sessional/lab)
- Engineering Geology (sessional/lab)
What is Environmental Engineering?
Environmental Engineering mainly focuses on how to keep the environment clean, safe and liveable. Normally, it works with the water treatment plants, sewerage system, effluent treatment plants and so on.
Courses of Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Pollution Control
- Solid Waste Management
- Environmental Engineering Development Projects
- Environmental Engineering (sessional/lab)
- Solid Waste Management (sessional/lab)
- Environmental Pollution Control (sessional/lab)
What is Water Resource Engineering?
The foremost duty of Water Resource Engineering is proper utilization and management of water so that human civilization can get water according to their needs.
Courses of Water Resource Engineering
- Hydraulic Machinary
- Flood Mitigation & Management
- Ground Water Engineering
- River Engineering
- Hydraulic Structures
- Coastal Engineering
- Hydraulic Structures (sessional/lab)
- River Engineering (sessional/lab)
Working Sector of Civil Engineer
- Civil Engineering offers a wide range of working sectors to the Civil Engineers. It is one of the best engineering sector for jobs or your career. Again, if you are thinking about create a farm of your own, you have also the scope to do that. As a Civil Engineer, you can work on various sector like
- Structural Engineering
- Water Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Building Control Surveyor
- CAD Technician
- Design Engineering
- Geologist Engineering
- Construction Manager
- Project Manager
Contribution of Civil Engineers
- Civil Engineering is a versatile engineering sector. Civil Engineers are mainly concerned with the planning and management of infrastructure and other built environments. Modern Civil Engineers conceive, design, construct and operate physical structures, develop and utilize natural resources, and plan public works for the future. But after all, almost every solution to every societal problem has some connection with Civil Engineering including the development, utilization, and control of resources for the benefit of human beings. Let’s see some best works of Civil Engineers:-
- Burj Khalifa
- Great Pyramid of Giza
- Great Wall of China
- Eiffel Tower
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Hoover Dam
- Panama Canal
- Qingdao Haiwan Bridge
- Lake Pontchartrain Causeway
- English Channel Tunnel
- Itaipu Dam
- The Colosseum etc.
Future Projects for The Civil Engineer
There might be hardly any engineering sector without challenges. As an engineers, you have to face so many challenges. Civil Engineers are not indifferent to it. Let’s know some future projects for Civil Engineers :-
- Floating City
- Jeddah tower
- The Shanghai Tower
- Moon Orbiting Space Station
- The Alvarado Water Treatment Plant
- The Carlsbad Desalination Plant
- Water Absorbing Road
- The Queensferry Crossing
- Hong Kong-Zhuahai-Macau Bridge
- The Man-Made River Project etc.
Salary of a Civil Engineer.
Actually, Civil Engineers are get paid differently in the different corner of the world. The average salary of an entry level Civil Engineer is about $60,000 and an experienced Civil Engineer is about $86,000 per year. Switzerland is the highest paying country for the Civil Engineers. Larsen & Toubro is the best company for Civil Engineers.