Microsoft Windows is an operating system developed by Microsoft to be used on personal computers. Its popularity is high worldwide and it is recognized for having windows interface facilitating its users to perform various tasks. So this article explains the characteristics, versions, pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages of the Windows operating System 2022.
Windows OS is pre-installed on most computers. We will see reasons to use and not to use different operating systems, we are going to present a list of reasons why you should choose Microsoft Windows.
The Windows operating system is used by a large number of people worldwide, we must take into account the advantages and disadvantages of Windows and stands out for its functions and characteristics:
Features of Windows Operating System
- It is located on the monitor screen.
- It has different forms depending on the version of the platform.
- It has a visually pleasant and comfortable platform for users.
- It is the foundation on which Windows is based.
- It is a list that provides options for various subtopics.
- Allows the user to configure and customize it.
- Gives the option of being hidden or visible.
- Facilitates the use and access of all components provided by the system.
- You are limited to running one program at a time.
- It has a control panel that allows you to modify various aspects such as the time, date, add devices, among others.
- It is an essential switch for your interface.
- Its function is to show the menu with all the programs constituted.
- It is designed so that it is located at the bottom left of the screen.
- It gives the advantage of showing the programs and applications most used by the user.
- Offers a search engine to facilitate the search for a specific program.
- It is responsible for displaying all user tasks that are active or loaded.
- Gives the option to navigate between the tasks performed.
- They offer shortcuts to activate their function either with the mouse or shortcuts by pressing the Alt + Tab keys.
- You have the ability to perform various tasks simultaneously, that is, at the same time.
- It is the graphical representation of the various installed applications.
- It is responsible for indicating all the modifiers in the applications on the computer.
- It also provides instructions for performing specific tasks.
- Provides the option to link to a folder or an application so that it is on the screen and saves time searching for it.
- There are various tables that make up the graphical interface.
- It is in charge of presenting the different information and indications to the user.
- This interface is intuitive.
- Offers the option of customizing the windows to suit the user.
If you are interested in learning more about the features of Microsoft Windows then it is recommended to see the article on Features and Evaluation of Microsoft Windows where its evolution as its main functions is deepened.
Advantages of Windows Operating System
Because it is one of the most used operating systems, advantages can be found that drive it to be one of the most used platforms worldwide. However, it also has disadvantages that must be taken into account for its use. To differentiate better, we also covered the Advantages and Disadvantages of MacOS and the Advantages and Disadvantages of Linux OS.
- It is best known, being the most popular and distributed. It is an operating system that is very compatible with most of the programs or devices that are distributed.
- You can play countless titles with the correct system.
- By software and drivers.
- Incredible designs, the interface is neat, functional, and user-friendly. So there are many aids and the designs end up standing out as they are innovative and visually pleasing.
- Multi-devices, with current developments the operating system can be carried on all devices without any kind of problem, whether on smartphones, tablets, or computers.
You may also read:
- Advantages and Disadvantage of Android Operation System
- Advantages and Disadvantage of iOS Operating System
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Chrome OS
Advantages of using Windows:
It is easy
Everybody knows how to use it. Anyone who has had some sort of formal education will know how to use a Windows machine (although Windows 8 was a bit confusing, I think Microsoft cleared it with their version of Windows 10).
You are helping to abolish piracy. I understand that there are people who will not agree with this “advantage”, but piracy is a great loss for software companies around the world.
People spend thousands of hours scrambling for something only to have it stolen. Windows 10 detects and removes pirated software from your computer.
Too much fun
Arguably the biggest advantage Windows has over GNU / L. (and Mac for that matter) is that game makers are much more supportive of Windows and most games run better on a Windows system.
Like game companies, there are other large companies that provide Windows-only support, such as AutoDesk, Photoshop, Dassault, etc. Of course, you can find alternatives to this software in GNU. But they just don’t get as much support, and they’re not as durable and bug-free as those from big companies.
Due to the reasons mentioned above, Windows can run on almost any processor. (Generally, it is recommended that GNU users install the operating system on machines that have Intel processors, although support for AMD is coming in now as well.)
Disadvantages of Windows Operating System
- The cost is very high
- New versions require a lot of resources
- Most viruses are made for Windows
- You can have compatibility errors on new systems.
- Historically it is the most unstable.
- Maintenance requires a lot of care and constant maintenance with attention because otherwise, it becomes unstable.
Disadvantages of using Windows:
Security in Windows is not that great, but I have heard that it is improving. Every day, nearly a million malware threats are released that can affect Windows systems.
Windows is known to consume a lot of RAM and take up a lot of space.
You have to keep paying for everything
I don’t understand why there is such a huge difference in price between the Student, Home, and Professional Edition of Windows. You have to buy Microsoft Office, and on top of that, you have to pay an annual fee to maintain it.
That’s crazy! People think that Windows is changing a new leaf by providing Windows 10 for free to users who already have Windows 7 and 8 installed.
The reality of the situation is that the support of software that is 6 years old is really hurting Microsoft because the majority of Windows users today use Windows 7.
Due to the constant increase and development in technology and operating systems, Windows has several versions with specific characteristics that differentiate them from others, as well as their advantages and disadvantages Windows.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Windows 98
Advantages of Windows 98
- It is an improved system from Windows 95.
- Change the password.
- It gives the possibility to detect system errors.
- Using FAT 32 increases system speed compared to Windows 95.
- You have the option of detecting intruders.
Disadvantages of Windows 98
- It no longer has support for multiplex updates.
- It does not offer intrusion blocking.
- It requires at least 16 MB of RAM.
- You need a 133 MHZ processor or higher.
- It works very slow compared to later versions.
- It does not support a DOS application.
- Offer fewer services.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Windows Server 2008
Advantages of Windows Server 2008
- It is a multi-threaded and multi-user system.
- Provides ease of administration, helping users with its use.
- It has a high development of applications and systems.
- It has extensive official documentation.
- It has high-performance Framework support.
- It provides codes for the mastery of various simple functions.
Disadvantages of Windows Server 2008
- It is an expensive system.
- You must pay for the license to be able to use it.
- It has a high level of advanced settings.
- Its security level is low since it has many bugs and failures.
- It requires the user to have experience and knowledge of this type of operating system.
- It has little stability.
- It consumes a lot of resources.
- It needs to restart for each update that is applied.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Windows 7
Advantages of Windows 7
- It has a high level of efficiency.
- Offers transparency in execution.
- It stands out for providing greater comfort to users at the time of use, whether playing multimedia files or documents.
- Maintains communications with various devices.
- It automatically detects the different devices.
- Allows you to run applications that are only allowed by the System Administrator.
- It agrees to have any type of program open from the toolbar.
- Due to its interface, it allows processes to be executed at high speed and in a short time.
- Its design provides that the size of the icons is large, facilitating their search and use.
- It allows working with several connected monitors in a very efficient way.
- It has Direct 11 that increases the reproduction and graphics of multimedia files and different games
- Optimize RAM memory management.
- It reduces power consumption compared to previous versions and has low memory consumption.
- The starting speed is enhanced compared to previous versions.
- Accepts the compatibility of the various programs used in Windows XP.
Disadvantages of Windows 7
- The price is high.
- To update the system requires a payment.
- It does not have an update with Windows XP.
- Your computer may be locked after installation.
- The level of security it provides is low since the antivirus is still required to improve protection.
- Sometimes you have problems with its installation.
- Additional resources such as RAM must be purchased.
- Limit the acquisition of themes you provide from the system to users who are not in specific countries.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Windows 8
Advantages of Windows 8
- It has an innovative operating system.
- Provides a fresh start menu while being regarded as flawless.
- Shows applications that the user wants to have visible.
- You have access to email and the messaging application.
- Its startup speed is very fast compared to previous versions.
- It allows everything to be personalized by the user.
Disadvantages of Windows 8
- It is focused on specific devices such as tablets.
- For computers that do not have a touch screen, you do not have the opportunity to enjoy all the sales that this system has.
- It has paid applications.
- It does not allow the option to install Adobe Flash Player.
- It limits the possibility of watching some videos or being able to play some games depending on their formats.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Windows 10
Advantage of Windows 10
- It is a system with more processing and lighter.
- Consumes fewer computer resources compared to predecessor versions.
- Provides greater confidence and greater security.
- It has a higher performance.
- It has seamless source code.
- Offers higher levels of encryption.
- It has a more protected password manager.
- Includes a Microsoft virtual assistant.
- Provides a new folder explorer.
- Create virtual desktops.
- Allows syncing in the cloud.
- Make it easy to access OneDrive directly from your browser.
- Synchronize the user’s account from the Windows Store.
- It has a new notification center.
- It offers a new browser called Edge.
Disadvantages of Windows 10
- It does not play DVD as it does not contain Windows Media Center.
- Accept a free update for the first year only.
- Provides licenses at a high cost.
- It has a wide range of versions so it often confuses users of which one is best for them.
- Forces to perform automatic updates.
- It has several small bugs and system errors.
- It is not compatible with all older programs.
Hopefully, this article helped you learning in-depth features, pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages of windows version, etc.